- Providing advice and guidance to the Governing Body and the Head on general financial practice and policy including long-term planning in line with DfE and other statutory requirements, ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and relevant law
- Pro-actively providing information for the forward planning process as regards the School Development Plan
- Assist in identifying opportunities for enhanced income and grant generation and cost saving throughout the school in a diligent and pro-active manner.
- Compiling, coordinating and implementing an annual budget of income and expenditure.
- Taking responsibility for costing the curriculum and liaising with the relevant line Deputy(s)
- Preparation of accurate and timely financial returns to external bodies e.g. DfE, LEA, ONS and HMRC
- Preparation of accounts for monthly management accounts, annual accounts and audits by Academy’s auditor, DfE and other statutory bodies
- Production of the monthly payroll, ensuring accuracy and validity of salary payments in liaison with payroll bureau.
- Provision of mentor coaching and CPD to budget holders and the Senior Team as appropriate
- Implementation of the school's financial policies and practices in conjunction with DfE and other statutory guidance
- Monitoring of all income and expenditure against budgets, identifying variances and producing a forecast out-turn and to inform the Head/Governors about any significant variances from these forecasts that may affect the smooth operations of the school.
- Taking responsibility for the operation of the school's computerised accounting system including purchase orders, invoicing, journals, income and payment systems and reports.
- Reconciling of bank accounts and other control accounts including the timely payments/income from creditors, debtors, salary and VAT
- Co-ordination and preparation of response to management letters and other statutory audits to oversee the tendering process in line with statutory policies.
In addition, you'll need strong working knowledge of Microsoft suite of products and financial management systems, along with project management skills and the ability to make formal and informal presentations at senior levels, and to think laterally.